Less than a week after my last blogpost a little girl was born. A year has already passed and it is amazing to see how a tiny baby evolves into a small person within such a small timeframe. Naturally, like every parent before us and every parent after us, we feel she is the most adorable, delightful and cute thing ever.
Also, a very time-consuming thing. I have sewn over the past year but nothing too complicated and there have been many weeks during which I didn’t even enter my sewing room. I am currently making an effort to sew more often because for me sewing is a relaxing activity. Creating something useful and beautiful gives my day just that little extra in between all the endless cleaning of messes, sterilizing stuff and wiping of runny noses that you have to do as a mother.
For my birthday my friends got me a subscription to La Maison Victor, because even if you don’t have a lot of time for sewing it is nice to get a little bit of inspiration in your mailbox every now and again. The September/October issue of 2017 has a pattern for baby trousers that I liked the look of so one day, when my daughter was napping, I decided to give it a go with a remnant of green sweatshirt fabric.
I decided to leave out the drawstring detail on that first pair because it is purely decorative and finishing something quicker is a plus when you don’t have a lot of time. However, every single time my daughter wears that green pair to daycare she is wearing them back to front when I pick her up. Apparently, the curved line at the front screams “This is the back!” when there is no drawstring (my husband also put them on back to front the first time). Needless to say, the fit is not so great when you put them on backwards.
When they are worn correctly, I do really like them and since a lot of her trousers have suddenly become too short I decided to make another pair. This time I included the drawstring to avoid any more confusion. I used a nice thick organic sweatshirt fabric. The back of the fabric feels super soft and is a lighter shade of blue than the front which makes for a nice detail when the cuffs are turned up. The seams were overlocked and the hem was turned up and sewn down with a triple stretch stitch.
Changes made to the pattern for this second pair:
- Lengthened the legs by an inch or so because I figured that she can wear them with the cuffs folded up at first and that way she’ll hopefully be able to wear them for a couple of months longer.
- The pattern calls for 3 cm wide elastic but I only had 2.5 cm on hand so I made the waistband narrower to fit my elastic.
- Because I narrowed the waistband I didn’t bother with the original buttonhole markings of the pattern because the buttonholes would have ended up in the wrong position. When I made the blue pair I simply drew some markings on the fabric where I wanted them to be. Looking at the line drawings mine are probably spaced somewhat closer together than in the pattern.
- I forgot to interface the area around the buttonholes, even though I made a practice piece with interfacing to test buttonhole sizes. Can happen to anyone right? I think it will probably work without interfacing in this fabric since it is quite sturdy.
- The pattern has you thread the ribbon through the gap at the back of the waistband. Uhh, doesn’t it make more sense to thread through the buttonholes in the front since you need both ends coming out of a buttonhole? I also think it makes more sense to sew the ends of the elastic before inserting the ribbon.
- I think that a piece of ribbon or string that can be pulled out in a garment that is meant for young children is dangerous. Therefore, after threading the ribbon and making certain that both ends were the same length, I stitched in the ditch at the back of the waistband securing the ribbon in place. This also secures the elastic and prevents it getting twisted.
Way to go mom! Your cutie is bound to be a smart cookie given how smart her mother is. 😉 Welcome back to Blogland!
Thank you! It also feels good to have written a post again. Let’s see if I can manage more than one post this year. 😉 There are plenty of unblogged items so finding something to blog about isn’t really an issue, just time…
Very cute! I confess I’d have assumed the curve was the back also, it has the look of give more space for ‘nappy bottom’, but I suppose it must be a decorative detail. Nice to see you back in the blogging universe, I hope you’l be able to find time to post a bit more.
That is a valid point, but I also embroidered the size in the back waistband of that pair and I think that also sort of indicates that it’s probably the back. There is definitely more space for a diaper in the real back, the back legs are much wider (but that’s something that perhaps only garment sewers would notice).
You have such thoughtful friends! Enjoy moments with your little one–I love the pants you made for her! I hope you get some more relaxing sewing time in.
Thank you! The past couple of months have been better sewing-wise, getting back to a regular blogging schedule will be even more challenging, but the intention is there…
Cute pants! I like the idea of embroidering the size!
Thank you! I find it extremely useful to add the size because I received some second hand handmade clothing when my daughter was born and then you sort of have to guess the size and sometimes you guess completely wrong and an item no longer fits when you try it on for the first time which is a bit of a pity.