Last week’s 2-coloured units were stacked in layers of 4 and I made another angled cut. The two sides were mixed and matched to make 4 new units with different colour combinations. I put them on my design wall and started shuffling. I did want the colours to be somewhat evenly distributed across the quilt, but I also wanted some bleeding to occur so that from a distance you can’t immediately tell that the quilt is made from rectangular units. I have started assembly of the top by sewing 4 of the units together to make larger rectangles.
I didn’t use a ruler this time. Quite liberating.
If you want to have a look at how this project evolved from last week click here.
It’s very clever, and I agree that once it’s stitched together it won’t be obvious that the quilt top is composed of rectangles.
I love the design and the color palette!
Thank you! It is a lot of fun to see the shapes forming as the units are pieced together.
You know, that almost looks curved in some places. I’m presuming that’s an optical illusion, but what a neat effect!
I think it’s mostly illusion but I did some freehand cutting and I suppose that may have resulted in some slightly curved seams because my hands are not so steady that I can cut completely straight. I like the effect as well.