When Vannessa Christenson from V and co. released her first fabric collections for Moda, I was intrigued by the ombre fabrics in her lines, so I bought a yard of each of the 7 colourways. It took a while before I dared cut into them.
For my first quilt with these fabrics I used chartreuse, plum, blue, orange and grey and combined these with 2 flowery prints from my stash that I thought fit with these colours.
I cut a whole bunch of equilateral triangles from each fabric using an equilateral triangle ruler (really, if you want to make something like this get yourself a dedicated ruler, it makes your life at least ten times easier). At first I just threw the triangles onto my design wall and didn’t really like it that much because it seemed a bit too messy. When I placed them in a diagonal dark to light gradient I started to like it a whole lot more and cut even more triangles to achieve the effect that I was after.
The assembly of this quilt was no walk in the park. I had to unrip it several times because I realized I had made some mistakes in the layout, certainly learning a lesson about being a bit more patient when I am making something and letting the design sink in first before I run to my sewing machine.
Unripping is not something I enjoy so this caused some quite extensive delays. I knew I had to do it because the mistakes bothered me too much but I kept putting it off. The unripping probably also caused some of the triangles to stretch out a bit because in some parts it became quite difficult to match the corners.
For the back I kept the piecing a bit simpler. I didn’t have anything in my stash big enough that I liked, but I still had quite a bit of the ombre fabrics left and decided to make a jelly roll race quilt. Instead of cutting 2.5’’ strips I cut mine 3’’. It turned out slightly too small so I added a strip to the bottom and top to make it tall enough.
Batting is Hobbs Tuscany Wool/Cotton blend and I quilted it with a light and dark grey Gütermann Sulky thread following some of the patterns that I saw in the design. I quite like how this turned out. For the binding I used a light grey fabric with a subtle print.
It took a while to get this quilt done but I am glad I persevered. It has already been given to a sweet little girl.
It has been a double-value quilt: someone has a lovely quilt to enjoy, and you learned some useful quiltmaking lessons, by the sound of it! I like the shading in the finish design very much.
Thank you! I now wait a lot longer before I start piecing, that’s for sure…
Nice! Adding the print was a good idea. Not sure I have the patience for matching equilateral triangles, but maybe. I do like the look.
The ruler made it a lot easier to match them. It’s not completely shaped as a triangle but in the corners yiu cut off a little corner that takes away the guess work.
I would have had a hard time giving that one away. I like the backing you made for it. I’ll be honest, I can see that the two pics are different, but I can’t see that the first one has any wrong things in it. It’s a great design, and I like the quilting, too.
It was made to give away so that makes it easier. The differences are subtle which is probably why I didn’t notice them before I started piecing but the order of the fabrics in the diagonal columns is now the same in each of the columns.
I LOVE it! And the strips on the back are similar to a top pattern I’m currently working on. I love this colour pattern so much. I think I’m insipired…. we must have similar taste since you keep doing this to me. 😂💕
Thank you! The jelly roll race is quite fun to do. So difficult to predict how it will turn out.
Wonderful and colorful!
Thank you! I am happy how it turned out 🙂